QUESTIONS ABOUT THE ACA
The Affordable Care Act will see the light of day on October 1st. While many Americans are trying to understand what the new law means, physicians, too, have many questions as to how it will impact them.
In an article in Medical Economics, they recommended, “physicians should brace for patients’ confusion about the rules, reimbursements, and protocols regarding insurance.”
Consumers are going to have many questions regarding the ACA, and being prepared to answer those questions, or at least point patients in the right direction, will be a huge benefit to physician practices.
From the U.S. Government to the American College of Physicians, there are numerous quality resources for information on the ACA. With an estimate of 7-8.5 million Americans who will sign up for a health plan using the new marketplaces, family practice, pediatricians, and internists are likely to get the bulk of questions from patients, and need to be prepared.
American Academy of Family Physicians (familydoctor.org)
- Health Care Reform: What It Means for You
- New Health Care Law and Medicare: What to Expect
- Understanding Health Insurance Marketplaces
American College of Physicians (acponline.org)
- State-by-State Guides to Helping Patients Enroll
- FAQs about Patient Enrollment in Health Insurance Marketplaces
- Q&A About Physician Concerns on the ACA
- An Internist’s Practical Guide to Understanding Health System Reform
National Physicians Alliance (npalliance.org)
The NPA put together “The Affordable Care Act: A Quick Guide for Physicians” that includes:
- How the ACA will benefit physicians, (No discriminating due to pre-existing conditions, Extended coverage for young adults to age 26, and a 10% Medicare bonus payment for primary care services are some examples.)
- Links to additional resources for physicians and patients, including handouts for download and print.
U.S. Government (HealthCare.gov)
This site is dedicated to explaining the new opportunities for individuals & families, and small businesses interested in getting insurance. Information includes such topics as “What is the Health Insurance Marketplace?” “What does Marketplace insurance cover?”, and many other areas of interest.
National Physicians Alliance. (2011). The Affordable Care Act: A Quick Guide for Physicians. Retrieved Sept. 17, 2013 from http://npalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/NPA-ACA.Quick_.Guide_.for_.Physicians.041311.pdf
Zamosky, L. (2013) Obamacare’s most vexing questions for physicians. Medical Economics. Retrieved Sept. 17, 2013 from http://medicaleconomics.modernmedicine.com/medical-economics/news/obamacares-most-vexing-questions-physicians?page=0,1