- CATEGORIES: Nurses
- No comments
COPD and Hospital Readmissions
Read this to great article from Dr. Schmitt and Dr. Thompson to learn how telephone triage nurses can play an important role in readmissions for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (COPD). During post‐ discharge follow‐up calls, the nurse can help identify early warning signs that require medical attention.
- Chronic obstructive lung disease is one of the leading cause of readmissions in U.S. hospitals.
- COPD affects almost 15 million U.S. adults. Another 12 million adults may go undiagnosed (NHLBI, 2012).
- It is now the third leading cause of death in the U.S.
- Approximately 20% of patients admitted to the hospital for COPD are readmitted within 30 days.
- The annual indirect and direct costs of COPD in the U.S. are approaching $50 billion.
- A significant portion of direct costs are due to COPD exacerbations.
- Exacerbations increase mortality and may hasten the decline of lung function.
Click here to read the full article – Readmissions
What to read next: Tips for Successful Triage Nursing